Is the judge’s decision final or can I object if I disagree?

If you are found guilty and you disagree with that finding, you may appeal to a higher court. This means you can ask a higher court to look at your case. The higher court may agree with and uphold the decision, decide to change the decision, or order a new trial. The prosecutor can also […]

Can I appeal my sentence, but not the finding that I am guilty?

Yes.  Both you and the prosecutor may appeal if one of you feels the sentence wrong. However, any future review of your youth sentence, whether custodial or not, cannot be appealed. Instead, if you are sentenced to custody for more than 1 year, there will be an automatic review of your youth sentence. You may […]

Can I also appeal other parts of a judge’s decision?

Yes, you can appeal a judge’s decision that you have committed a serious violent offence, of an order imposing an adult or youth sentence, or of an order for a ban on publication Note: An appeal related to an order for a ban on publication must be appealed along with an appeal of the sentence. […]

What happens during an appeal? Does everything just stand still during an appeal?

Under certain circumstances, even if you got custody as your sentence at your trial, the higher court can release you from custody while the appeal is going on. Even if you have appealed, the prosecutor can still collect samples of your bodily substances for DNA samples, with a court order after you have been found […]