Voluntary Youth Service Agreements Starting Jan 1, 2018: A young person who is under the age of 18 can contact a Children’s Aid Society (CAS) if they are at risk of harm or facing harm. Harm can be physical, emotional, sexual harm, or neglect. It is new that 16 and 17 year olds who are […]

What is the Children’s Aid Society?

A Children’s Aid Society’s (CAS) role is to protect children under the age of 16 from harm – see also VYSA’s described above for 16 & 17 year olds. It also helps families take better care of their children. A CAS worker may contact your family when there is a report about family problems that […]

How does CAS get involved with me and my family?

The CAS can help when there are problems in your family by the following: Your parents and the CAS can agree to have the CAS provide temporary services for you. If you are 16 years of age or older  this temporary agreement cannot happen. If you are 12 years old or older you must agree […]

What is residential care?

Residential care is a group home, foster home, or another special place where you live and get care and treatment you need. In residential care you will be looked after by foster parents or staff.

How am I placed in residential care?

Your parents can put you into residential care if you are under 16 years of age and the people in charge of the place agree to take care of you. This is called a voluntary placement. Your consent is not needed. You can also be put into residential care by CAS; this might happen in […]

I am not happy with my placement, what can I do?

If you have been put into residential care by your parents or by the CAS you may have your placement reviewed. A special group of people will listen to your case and make recommendations as to whether or not your placement is suitable. If you are under the age of 12 you will have to […]

What are my rights when I am in residential care?

A plan of care must be created for you and should include: What you need What you and the staff are trying to do, and How you and the staff are trying to meet your needs. You have the right to take part in making and changes to it. In addition, you have the right […]