Voluntary Youth Service Agreements Starting Jan 1, 2018: A young person who is under the age of 18 can contact a Children’s Aid Society (CAS) if they are at risk of harm or facing harm. Harm can be physical, emotional, sexual harm, or neglect. It is new that 16 and 17 year olds who are […]

JFCY does not represent on these matters; children receive legal services in family court through the Office of the Children’s Lawyer.

My parents are splitting up, what happens to me?

If your parents separate or divorce, either one parent will have custody of you or your parents will share custody. You will live with the parent(s) who has custody. If one parent has custody, that parent will make decisions about your welfare. If your parents share custody, they will make those decisions together.

Will I get to visit the family members I don’t live with?

A decision will be made about your visits to your family members, including your brothers and sisters that you are not living with. Decisions can also be made about visits with your grandparents. Sometimes parents work out the times that you can call them on the telephone or that they can come to see you […]

Do I get to have a say?

Once you are capable of understanding the situation, you have the right to give input by expressing your wishes. As you get older these views become more important. In court, you can have a lawyer to represent your wishes. If the judge thinks this is a good idea, the judge appoints a lawyer from the […]

What is an assessment?

An assessment is a report prepared by a psychologist, social worker or other professional who may recommend where you should live. The assessor will meet with you and your parents, sometimes together and separately. What you say to the assessor can be put into the report. If you have questions about an assessment, a youth […]

How old must I be to decide for myself where I live?

If you are 16 years of age or older, you can decide where you want to live. This may or may not involve your parents. If you are under 16 years, depending on your ability to understand the situation, your views will be heard. Some courts have recently decided to give a child the right […]