Changes are occurring regularly, check the court’s website for the most recent updates.
- Some courts are resuming in-person proceedings that include strict health and safety protocols.
- For dates that occurred during closures, your new appearance date is based on the date you were supposed to originally appear. The earliest date is Aug 4, 2020 – check the schedule for your new appearance date
- A criminally accused person can contact the Crown Attorney’s Office by email or phone to obtain their Crown Screening form and/or disclosure.
- The court has procedures in place to assist individuals in applying to vary their release conditions, without needing to personally appear in court.
Ontario Social Justice Tribunals – including the Landlord and Tenant Board, Child Family Services Review Board, Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
- Resumed some in-person hearings on July 6, 2020.
- Continues to hear matters virtually, and expects to further expand the scope of matters that will be heard virtually.
- Criminal or civil jury selection or jury trials will resume on September, 2020, at the earliest.
- Continues to hear urgent motions and urgent garnishment hearings by telephone or videoconference.
- On June 2, 2020, started scheduling settlement conferences in non-urgent matters, to be conducted remotely.
- There are provincial differences in how the court resumes, check the latest directions on the court’s website.
- In Ontario, the suspension period has been extended to June 29, 2020; all hearings scheduled before the end of July are cancelled; online filing of service of documents has been made easier.
- All hearings suspended; urgent matters can be heard by way or written materials or remotely.
- Check website for serving and filing deadlines and extensions of time.
- All hearings scheduled for March, April and May were adjourned; filing deadlines imposed by the Rules had been suspended, while deadlines imposed by Statutes remain in force.
- The Court remains open for case-related matters
- Started hearing cases by video-conference on June 8, 2020.