Pro Bono Ontario (PBO) connects volunteer lawyers with Ontarians who can’t afford a lawyer.
Workplace Sexual Harassment Hotline: Mon – Fri, 1pm – 7pm. Closed on statutory holidays: 1-855-776-1855.
Education Law Program offers free legal help for families whose children face challenges to their rights in public schools. Call to speak to the program coordinator on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursday afternoons (1pm – 3:30pm): 1-855-255-7256. Or apply using their online form.
Civil Legal Advice Hotline generally accepts calls Mon – Fri between 9:30 am – 11:30 am, and between 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm. Able to assist with:
- Going to court (civil matters only – no family law or criminal law)
- Consumer issues, such as consumer debt and consumer protection
- Creating Powers of Attorney (Available Mon – Fri from 9:30 am – 11:30 am
- Corporate law for charities, non-profits and small businesses
A project of Pro Bono Ontario which matches lawyers on a pro bono (free) basis for families with limited means in the area of education law for children.
The Law Society of Ontario can assist you in finding a lawyer or paralegal. Visit the Lawyer and Paralegal Referral Service to apply on-line.
If in crisis, e.g. being held in custody: 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255, M – F, 9am – 5pm.
Legal Aid Ontario provides legal assistance for low-income people. Services include:
- legal representation for eligible clients who appear in court without a lawyer;
- legal aid applications and information over the phone;
- legal resources and referrals to other social assistance agencies; and
- a certificate program for complex and serious cases.
Legal Aid Ontario also funds 77 community legal clinics throughout the province. 13 of these clinics provide specialty legal services (including Justice for Children and Youth). Each is a non-profit legal centre, governed by an independent board of directors representative of the community it serves. Clinics employ lawyers, legal workers, paralegals and administrative staff to provide information, legal advice and representation.