Hide website

Leaving Home – Work, Rent and Healthcare

Can I work?

Yes, you can work, but not during school hours if you are under 18 and have not graduated yet. If you are receiving OW, you can keep the money you earn.

Can I rent my own apartment?

Yes, you are legally entitled to rent your own apartment. If you are on OW, your worker has the right to approve where you live. It is against the law for a landlord to refuse to rent to you because you are 16 or 17. It is also against the law to refuse to rent to you because you are receiving OW.

 Who will make my healthcare decisions?

You can to see a healthcare practitioner and make your own decisions at any age as the law deems you to be “capable” unless the healthcare practitioner says you are “incapable”. If you are found incapable, your “substitute decision-maker” will be asked to make decisions for you. This is often your parents/caregivers.

At the age of 16 and up, you can create a Power of Attorney for Personal Care to choose who your substitute decision-maker is. For more information and a Power of Attorney Kit: www.ontario.ca/page/make-power-attorney

Scroll to top ↑