Victims of Crime

  1. Emergency help: if you are a victim of a crime, you can telephone the police by dialing “9-1-1” to get immediate help.


    There are also many help lines that you can call for assistance during or after reporting a crime. For example, the Toronto Police Service has a ‘Special Victims Section’ for victims of sex crimes. There are also specialized agencies to assist preparing young persons for court.

    Specialized help lines:

    Assaulted Women’s Help Line: 24 hour counselling and referral services by telephone

    • 416-863-0511
    • Toll-free: 1-866-863-0511
    • or #SAFE (#7233) on your Bell, Rogers, Fido or Telus mobile phone

    Kids Help Phone (up to 20 years of age):

    Toronto Police Service:

    • Emergency: 9-1-1
    • Non-Emergency: 416-808-2222

    Toronto Police Service:

    Toronto Rape Crisis Centre: 24-hour counselling, short-term 1:1 counselling and court support

    Appearing in criminal court

    As a victim of a crime, you may be requested to come to court to give testimony against the accused in your case.

    The Crown Prosecutor or defence counsel may subpoena you so that you must come to court. If you are subpoenaed and you do not go to court, a witness warrant may be issued against you and you can be arrested and brought into court by the police.

    If you are testifying, you must tell the truth, or risk being charged with perjury for lying under oath. Importantly, nothing you say while testifying on the stand can be used as evidence against you criminally. For example: You were selling drugs in an alley way and the person buying the drugs from you robbed you – beat you up and stole your wallet. You are now testifying as the victim of the robbery. The Crown Prosecutor asked you what you were doing in the alleyway – and you answered that you were selling drugs. Even though you admitted in court that you were doing an illegal activity, you could not later be prosecuted for trafficking drugs because you were forced (subpoenaed) to go to court that day and answer questions about the incident.

    Civil lawsuits

    You can sue someone that hurt you in civil court. Superior court claims are for damages over $35,000. Small claims court, for claims under $35,000, provides a simplified procedure you to make a legal action against somebody who harmed you. For more information, see the Small Claims Court section.

    Victim Services:

    Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) counselling program

    Victim Quick Response Program+

    Barbara Schlifer Commemorative Clinic

    • Legal information and referral service for women who are survivors of violence
    • 416.323.9149

    Boost Child & Youth Advocacy Centre

    • Child abuse prevention and intervention services
    • Support for child witnesses in court
    • 416.515.1100 ext. 331
    • Toll-free: 1-855424-1100

    Ontario Victim Support Line

    Sexual Assault / Domestic Violence / Child Violence Care Centre

    Toronto Police Service Victim Services


    Note: the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board is permanently closed. Any questions about continuing payments from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, you can contact the Victims and Vulnerable Persons Division (VVPD) of the Ministry of the Attorney General at 1-833-704-2610.